Today, we celebrate World Refill Day, a global campaign to prevent plastic pollution and help people live with less waste.
According to the UNEP, we produce about 400 million tonnes of plastic waste every year. Refill reports than less than 2% of packaging is reusable and less than 10% of the plastic we use has ever been recycled.
We know our planet is choking on plastic. By 2050, the world's oceans could contain more plastic than fish measured by weight. So let's use this day to rethink our current habits. As we always mention, every action counts and it's important to join forces to generate a great impact.
1. Choose refillable products for toiletries, laundry products, dried foods, cleaning products and much more. Soeder (a swiss brand that creates sustainable products for everyday life) offers to its clients the possibility to easily refill what they have bought from the brand. For World Refill Day, they have a current promotion and they are offering 50% of discounts on all the refills today! So if you have a Soeder product, you can benefit from this opportunity!
2. Opt for reusable produce bags or eco-friendly bags
Search for businesses that sell the food in bulk so you can take your cloth bags and decide the exact quantity you need.
Where to find these businesses?
- Local markets. Check the ones available in your area and take always the cloth bags with you. Ferme du Budé or Marché des Grottes in Geneva are some of them.
- Organic stores that sell in bulk:
- Nature en vrac
- Chez Mamie Bio
- Le Nid
- Bio c' bon
- Atout Vrac
- Cap sur le vrac
- La Sage
- Prosana Bio
You will not only helping our planet but also supporting local business that care about our world.
What are the benefits?
- Environmentally friendly
- They can hold up more weight than a regular plastic bag or paper bag
- They can be washed, cleaned, dried and then be used again
- Organic cotton bags are eco-friendly as they are biodegradable and unlike plastic bags, they won’t take 1000 years to degrade
- Leads you to reduce the overall consumption of one-time-use plastic bags
- And to be honest, it is way more beautiful than a plastic bag ;)
3. Give-up bottled water. Try this insulated bottle from the bambaw
4. Buy fresh bread that comes in either paper bags or no bags. Have you ever tried Brut boulangerie?
5. Opt for reusable bamboo or glass straws. Try Halm straws that offers glass straws.
6. Choose reusable cloth sandwich/snack bags over plastic baggies. You can find a wide selection on Natur tuch
7. Use natural cleaning cloths and scrubbers made of jute or linen instead of plastic scrubbers and synthetic sponges. Check some beautiful items on studio_cpunkt
8. Try natural beeswax coated cloth wraps instead of plastic cling film. You can find minimalistic prints and cool design on Loggia 16
9. Switch to soap bars instead of liquid soap. Mido Made has some options made of bio fair trade sheabutter, bio coconut oil and ginger oil.
10. Give up shampoo in plastic bottles. Use solid shampoo from Foret Bleue
11. Switch from a plastic razor to a reusable one. the bambaw has various options.
12. Try the reusable makeup remover pads instead of single use ones. Api care pads are among the best!
As Refill says: We have the power to create a wave of change. We're calling businesses, brands and governments to join the refill and reuse revolution and help make single-use plastic a thing of the past.
Let’s make a change and collaborate together!