Dry January is a growing health trend which means to begin the new year with a resolution to abstain from alcohol use for a month.
You may have probably heard it everywhere.
If you’re still doubting on how to be part of it, follow some advices that will help you in reaching the goal and make sure you read until the end to get some great recipes of mocktails that will not only detoxify your body but also provide you with a nice combination of ingredients.
1. Avoid ‘all or nothing’ thinking. So, you’ve made your resolution to stop drinking and two weeks after you had a glass of wine. It’s ok if this happens! Also 90% or 40% Dry January will be good. In fact, just cutting back is better than nothing at all. Just try to keep committed to your original resolution and put the effort!
2. Make it a goal. Write it down somewhere as a physical reminder of your intentions.
3. Avoid triggers. We have the tendency to associate places and with drinking. These are known as triggers. Try to avoid those situations!
4. Find alternatives. If you’re using alcohol as a coping mechanism or a way of relaxing, find some other ways of doing that : exercise! There are so many options: go for a walk, try some relaxing yoga with @vivitheyogi, pilates or any other sport that will help you to release some endorphins! You could also take a warm bath, meditate or prepare a nice cup of moroccan tea that not only has a delicious taste but also a lot of benefits for the mind and body such as reduce feelings of frustration, distress and fatigue, improve your sleep quality, among others.
5. Out of sight, out of mind. Hide the bottles you have at home, if you don’t see them, you’re less likely to drink them. Or get rid of the bottles, so if you’re craving a glass after a long day of work you won’t have any stock and you could take a cup of tea instead ;)
6. Add a detox plan into your routine. Dame Gingembre currently has a package with 30 shots that you could take every morning.
Another option is Kombucha, a beverage you could start trying that has many benefits for your health. The brand Nycha Kombucha has a subscription plan that you could try out with different flavors.
7. Find another drink that feels special. Try mocktails with healthy ingredients.
In search of some ideas?
Try a Kombucha Mocktail.
- Just pour yourself 6 ounces of your favorite ginger-flavored kombucha
- Add a tablespoon or two of fresh-squeezed lime juice to top it off
You will not only save calories and sugar, but you will give your body the benefits of kombucha which is a source of probiotics and antioxidants.
Try a Kiwi Mocktail packed with vitamin C from the mindfulmocktail
What you will need:
- 3 kiwi fruits peeled and diced
- 1 lime juiced
- 10 mint leaves
- 2 cups sparkling water or kombucha
- 1 teaspoon sweetener of choice (optional)
Step by step:
- Place kiwi fruit, lime juice, mint leaves and sweetener (if using) in a high speed blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Divide between 2 ice-filled glasses and top with sparkling water or kombucha.
- Garnish with mint or extra kiwi.
Try to give your body a break from alcohol and you will see amazing results: better skin, better sleep, weight loss and much more.
It is all about your health and well-being. Listen to your body and take care of yourself because it is a priority.