Discover the hidden gems in Switzerland this winter!
Exploring less-known places in your country is an exciting activity.
We cannot hide the fact that Switzerland has some of the incredible scenery in the world – the Matterhorn, Lake Geneva, Jungfraujoch, Lucerne and other stunning places are on the bucket lists of many of us.
There are also other beautiful places but underrated or less-known. In this article, we will introduce you to two magical winter wonderlands in the Swiss Bernese Alps.
GrindelwaldIt is a village and a destination for skiing in winter and hiking in summer.
For mountain climbing lovers, Grindelwald is a great place for this outdoor activity as well.
And when you don't want to ski or snowboard, then discover the city and surroundings:
- Go for some snowshoe hiking, and enjoy the beauty of the nature.
- Have some fun and go sledding with the entire family!
- Discover local products.
- Visit the next door beautiful villages, they are really close and you can reach them all by train: Mürren or Lauterbrunnen.
The perfect destination for a family-friendly ski and rambling area around the Männlichen and the Kleine Scheidegg.
Nostalgic timber houses, dispersed holiday chalets and hotels dating from the belle époque period, are part of this Swiss village that has retained all the character of a picture-postcard mountain village.
Opening widely to the south west, the terrace guarantees above-average hours of sunshine. Since 1893, car-free Wengen has been able to be reached from Lauterbrunnen via the Wengernalp railway; cars remain parked in Lauterbrunnen.
The many activities at Wengen:
- The key excursion destinations within the Jungfrau region can all be reached easily from Wengen.
- Climbers on the Eiger north face – one of the world’s most spectacular and difficult climbing faces.
- You can reach the Schilthorn summit from the valley floor resort of Lauterbrunnen via Mürren or Stechelberg.
- In winter, Wengen is the ideal starting point for the family-friendly ski region of Kleine Scheidegg-Männlichen with 110 km of predominantly easy to medium-difficulty pistes.
- Enjoy a fast ride in the toboggan and make the most of clean air and the long hours of sunshine.
This winter make sure to plan your weekends and visit these two beautiful mountain villages!
We will keep on sharing with you more hidden gems each season! stay tuned :)