What you need
Wet ingredients for sweet potato cake
- 1 ¼ cups (250g) sweet potato puree. I made it myself by boiling the sweet potato and once tender, I removed the skin and smashed the flesh with a fork
- 1 ½ cups (310g) almond milk
- ½ cup (125g) coconut oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar optional
- 1 tsp vanilla extract, optional
Dry ingredients for sweet potato cake
- 3 cups (375g) whole wheat flour
- 1 cup (160g) brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 3 tsp pumpkin spice
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
Cashew mapple frosting
- (227g) cashew butter
- ½ cup (120ml) refined coconut oil
- ½ cup (120ml) coconut cream
- ¼ cup (60ml) maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla paste
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Line or grease with coconut oil a 20 cm or 23 cm (8 inch or 9 inch) square baking tin.
Step by step
Add all the wet ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix until there are no lumps. Add all the dry ingredients (sift them first if they are very lumpy) to the bowl and mix until there are no pockets of flour or wet ingredients.
Pour the batter into your cake tin. Bake for 30 minutes or until you can insert a skewer in the middle and it comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool in the tin.
To make the frosting
In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients until smooth. Cover the bowl and chill the mixture in the freezer for 30 minutes. Take it out, whisk, and put it back into the freezer to chill. Take it out after another 30 minutes to whisk, and then stick it in the refrigerator until you're ready to frost your cake layers.
Spread the frosting over the cake. Store in the fridge to prevent the frosting from melting.
Why you should cook with the ingredients of the season?